One of my summer favorite’s for dinner is shrimp scampi! My first memory of angel hair pasta was when my mom made us shrimp scampi for the first time. As an adult, I have had to get creative with how to make recipes low carb because my metabolism is NOTHING like it used to be! Follow below for how to make my favorite dairy-free and low carb shrimp scampi.
1-2 Pounds Raw Shrimp Peeled and Deveined with Tails Off
1 Stick of Plant Butter, I like THIS Kind
3 Cloves Garlic, freshly minced
1 Yellow Onion
4 Medium Zucchinis
Dairy Free Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste
A Spiralizer or “Zoodler” to make the zucchini noodles. It’s a great investment if you are looking to eat low carb as you can spiralize many different types of vegetables into noodles. I have used both a hand turning manual spiralizer as well as the KitchenAid attachment, and I must say, if your budget allows for the latter, it is MUCH easier and super quick!
What To Do:
- Spiralize your zucchini noodles according to whichever tool you have or choose to purchase and then set the noodles aside.
- In a pan, melt a stick of plant butter and add a quarter cup of olive oil.
- When the oil and butter have combined, add chopped onion and minced garlic. Let simmer until golden then add the shrimp.
- While the shrimp is cooking, bring a pot of water to boil. When it reaches rolling boil, add the zucchini noodles and let cook for 60-90 seconds. Immediately drain.
- When the shrimp are almost fully cooked, add the lemon, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Cook until shrimp are fully cooked and the cheese has been incorporated.
- When you are ready to serve, out zucchini noodles in a bowl, top with shrimp and plenty of sauce. Add a sprinkle of parsley if desired and enjoy 🙂
One thought on “Low Carb Shrimp Scampi”